Thursday, August 9, 2012

Personal Account- Love


Blog written by Kaitlyn


Love. I always thought that in order to love someone deeply you had to know them for an extended period of time. Know where they came from, their struggles, successes and what they wanted out of life. Since my arrival in Africa I have realized that none of that is true. I have fallen in love with complete strangers, people I have known for minutes and who speak a very different language. I have fallen in love with children whom I want to take care of and take home with me. When Hilda and Hope (two children from the Babies Home) run to me with big smiles on their faces and jump in my arms, followed by the other children, the most incredible joy fills my heart and I find it hard to believe that I have only known them for a few weeks. I look back and recall the moment that I fell in love with them and I know it was the moment I met their smiling faces at the gates of the Babies Home. The truth is that I have fallen in love with all of the children and it doesn't matter that they are covered in red dust from the roads, that some of the children have HIV and various other diseases; I love them all.



The children at the Babies Home have had hard lives and been though unimaginable events at such a young age. They have seen and experienced things that no one should ever go through in a lifetime. Some have HIV that was passed down to them at birth. One child witnessed his father murder his mother with an axe, then kill himself. Some children have had parents abandon them; yet keep their brother or sister. Others have had parents die from various diseases and one child was left in a maze (corn) field to die. Each child's story is different, tragic and hard to hear, but it's their reality.  It could be easy for them to lose hope, be defiant and hate life. However, they choose to be happy for what they do have in life. These children never complain about their situation, rather give thanks to the Lord for life. Prior to every meal and snack the children close their eyes and say this prayer, " Thank you father, thank you father for our food, for our food, and our many blessings and our many blessings- amen."  



What I find incredible about these children is that they have all reason in the world to be bitter about life, but you will never hear them complain about their situation. They don't have a play ground, they have rips in their clothes, they don't have underwear on half of the time, they don't have parents who embrace them every single day who tell them that they are loved. They eat similar meals daily, they don't go out for dinner, they don't have dolls, toys or puzzles. And yet they are happy. They are grateful for life, for the love of God, and for the things they do have. 



I miss these children already. The way they smile, laugh, cry and most of all their huge hearts. I feel privileged to have had the chance to meet them, to spend time with them and have them allow me to love and embrace them. I will always remember the time I spent with them, and forever cherish the relationships I have built. People from home have told me how lucky these children are for what we (Thomas, Layne and I) are doing, but we know that in fact, it's the exact opposite- we are the lucky ones. We have learned and grown so much as individuals, feel fortunate and will be forever grateful for the people we have met in this great country of Uganda. 



So may God bless every single child in the Arise Africa Babies Home, and all the children in the world who were and are abandoned; and may He continue to take care of them, show them His love and provide for them. May he bless the aunties and caregivers who look after the children. May He give them the strength to care for all the children and continue to shine the light and love upon them every single day.




These kids are amazing!!

Kaitlyn with Hilda. 
Love
Kaitlyn with Hope




1 comment:

  1. I absolutely loved this post, made me cry! To me, God is Love and each of these children possess so much love for everything even though it seems that all of them have been given so little. God is within them- in their smiles and spirit. I hope that I have the opportunity to go to a place like Uganda to experience this.

    ReplyDelete